Monday, July 22, 2013

Onions, rocks, and bubbles

Recently I have been spending time on several different meditations. They each have a bit of silly attached to them, but that's fine with me! And for those of you who have been worried about me because of the tone of my last few posts, this one should make you feel better, too!


First, the onions! One of the themes that has been surfacing in my reading this summer has been discovering the many different levels of who we are. I started thinking about the fact that there are many "layers" to me. Peeling back these layers to discover who I really am, so that I can begin to determine who I really need to become has been an interesting part of my spiritual journey. The first image that popped into my head was onions, and a quote from the movie Shrek - which was one of my favorites when it came out in 2001. Shrek is trying to explain to Donkey just why ogres are not who they seem to be.

Ogres are like onions. Onions have layers, ogres have layers. You get it? We both have layers.
Shrek and Donkey chat about onions

Next, the rocks! A story has been circulating for some time about filling an empty jar. Basically, someone fills a clear jar with rocks. When others are asked if the jar is full, they of course reply that it is. Then however, smaller rocks and pebbles are added. Again the question is raised, and now the observers are certain the jar is full. But then sand is poured into the jar, falling into the small spaces that have been left open. The idea here is that you must first fill your jar with rocks, before you let all of the other stuff get in the way. The big stuff, the important stuff, can't go in last or it will never fit. I have been trying very hard to be sure that my jar is full of rocks before I get my day started - my prayer and quiet time are my biggest rocks! When I don't put them in first, invariably my day falls apart.
Rocks, Pebbles and Sand

And now, the bubbles! At one point in my spiritual direction I was given a sheet of paper with a few simple meditations written on it. One of them follows.

There are 3 kinds of people who populate this world. The people of the earth live on the ground scraping an existence together, seldom daring to look up. The people of the sky move up and down in glass towers seldom caring to look around. The people in bubbles....

I think I might be a bubble person! I like to think that I do look up, that I do see the world around me. Bubbles are fun! They reflect the colors of the sun, and bring happiness to anyone who sees them. I like to think that I am a bubble, or at least that is one of those things I am learning to become!

So...onions, rocks and bubbles. Peel back some of the layers to learn who I am. Fill my day with what is most important first; my quiet time of prayer and meditation. Move about this world lighthearted and filled with the joy that has come from starting the day with those rocks. See, I knew this post would sound much more like me!


No comments:

Post a Comment